D010-PAKISTAN MUERTOS ATAQUE TREN
Social media footage showed thick smoke and a derailed train after a bomb blast struck a shuttle carrying Pakistani security personnel and their families in southwestern Balochistan province on Sunday (May 24), officials said, in the latest major attack claimed by separatist militants.
The explosion killed at least 24 people and injured around 70, according to three provincial government and security officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity as they are not authorized to speak to the media.
Reuters confirmed the location by the buildings, trees, walls, car park, power pylons and rail line seen in the video which matched satellite imagery. The derailed train and burnt cars matched Reuters video coverage of the same event.
Coordinates: 30.202694734895136, 67.00249988625744
The date when the videos were filmed was verified by Reuters reporting and a statement from Pakistan’s Prime Minister Sharif, condemning the suspected attack.
The attack was the latest in a series of strikes on trains, security forces and infrastructure in the mineral-rich province that borders Iran and Afghanistan, where Pakistan has launched counterinsurgency operations after some of the deadliest violence in years.
Earlier this year, Pakistani forces killed 145 militants in a 40-hour operation after coordinated attacks across Balochistan left nearly 50 people dead, provincial officials said.
DESCRIPCIÓN DE IMÁGENES
QUETTA, PAKISTAN (MAY 24, 2026) (SOCIAL MEDIA: No resale/ No archive/ News use only) (ORIGINALLY SHOT IN PORTRAIT)
1. THICK SMOKE RISING AND FLAMES FROM TRAIN EXPLOSION / TRAIN DERAILED / PEOPLE AND POLICE ON TRAIN TRACKS