D007-VATICANO PAPA VICTIMAS EBOLA
STORY: Pope Leo on Sunday (August 23) called for international action to help contain the impact of an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which has so far claimed more than 2,500 lives.
The outbreak has been spreading rapidly across a vast area of the central African country and is causing a record number of infections and deaths, according to United Nations officials.
"In my prayers, I often remember the Democratic Republic of the Congo, particularly in light of the spread of the Ebola epidemic, which is sadly claiming many lives," the pontiff told pilgrims gathered in Saint Peter's square for his weekly Sunday prayer.
"I urge the international community to respond in a way that also involves local communities in prevention efforts to save as many lives as possible," he said.
Congo's 17th Ebola epidemic became the biggest in the country's history in terms of confirmed cases in late July, surpassing the previous record outbreak from 2018 to 2020.
DESCRIPCIÓN DE IMÁGENES
SHOWS: VATICAN CITY (AUGUST 23, 2026) (VATICAN MEDIA - Access all)
1. POPE LEO APPEARING FROM WINDOW OF APOSTOLIC PALACE
2. PEOPLE GATHERING IN ST PETER'S SQUARE
3. (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) POPE LEO SAYING:
"Dear brothers and sisters, happy Sunday"
4. PEOPLE GATHERED IN ST PETER'S SQUARE
5. (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) POPE LEO SAYING:
"In my prayers, I often remember the Democratic Republic of Congo, particularly in light of the spread of the Ebola epidemic, which is sadly claiming many lives. I urge the international community to respond in a way that also involves local communities in prevention efforts to save many human lives."
6. PEOPLE IN ST PETER'S SQUARE
7. (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) POPE LEO SAYING:
"I am also close to the people of the Central African Republic, who are mourning the victims of the collapse that occurred in a mine in Zamboye. May the Lord welcome those who have lost their lives and support efforts to ensure safety and legality at mining sites."
8. PEOPLE IN ST PETER'S SQUARE